Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Innovative shower/bath--and innovative marketing

In keeping with the recent theme about the practicality of more universally designed bathrooms for everyone, I came across this post today, featuring an interesting line of bath/tub combos from Europe:



http://www.universaldesignstyle.com/twin-line-walk-in-bathtub-and-shower-combo/

For some reason this design makes me more worried about leaks than a lot of walk-in tubs, maybe it's the glass door.  Still, it's pretty interesting.  But what is even more interesting to me is the marketing brochure.  In the states, walk-in tubs tend to be positioned for the Ed McMahon set.  But if you look at the Artweger brochure (beware, bare bottoms shown) the models are young and there is a clear "family versatility"message.

http://www.artweger.at/pdf/fremdsprachen/folder_twinline_3spr.pdf

These obviously are not fully accessible, and the bath still requires the ability to fully lower oneself and then rise.  But that's not the issue--it provides flexibility in use (principle 2 of universal design).  It's not a tub for someone who can't really use a traditional tub.  Rather, I can have my tub and shower in one flexible unit, even if I might only ever use the shower part. And that can simply be a matter of preference as much as ability.

Another example of innovative, "cool" design transcending the mental barriers around more accessible solutions?

And I bet the kids would really like the aquarium feel of that glass door.

1 comment:

Innovative bath said...

I really love innovative bathrooms, the other day I had a look at ROCA's website and I discovered a huge number of products which are really innovative. The new In tank meridian toilet is just perfect for reduced spaces 'cause it doesn't have a concealed tank!

Regards,
Lisa